Saturday, April 05, 2008

Cream buns....

Time check: 01:16 AM.

I recall a time when I was say 5ish (looked 8 though) when life was much simpler. The highlight of the day was when the 'dab dab-man' came with his magical steel trunk filled with creambuns and butter biscuits and other fresh-from-the-oven goodies. Somehow to a pudgy five year old the steel trunk seemed magical, it seemed bottomless, it seemed like the steal trunk was something out of the Bible... it could feed 10,000 and still have a few creambuns to spare. It was maned by a very stoic looking man. Had I been distracted enough I would have asked him his name, but I had other pressing matters to attend to. Like scan his steel trunk to see which bun had the most cream on it. With an engineer's eye I'd pick out the one I thought Biggest, measure it with the practiced eye of a veteran eater of hundreds of creambuns, pay him his 3 bucks and scoot to the 3rd floor where I lived.

Mom was also pleased with the arrival of the dab dab-man (so christened by me because he used to bang the steel goodies filled trunk to announce his arrival). Once my weekly quota of cream bun was satisfied, I didn't desire much in life. She recalls to this day how I used to sit by the window and nurse that single bun for close to an hour. First I'd eat edges (the cream-less part) then with the grand flourish that only a five year old bun-lover can muster, I'd begin work on the best part... the creamy part. Ah...! the joy it brought me...

The dab dab man might have joined the bakery revolution and bartered his magical steel trunk for a small bakery that might be called "Cee Jee Best Bakery". But little does he know the immense joy he brought a strange little girl who lived at B-32 1219 BDA Flats Austin Town Bangalore forty seven.

4 comments:

Sakshi Gaurav said...

You just made me wanna go and graba cream bun for myself and i guess i am just gonna do that. I guess my sayin this proves in itself what i felt about this blog of urs . lol and cheers to our blogging days and nights :)

zed said...

tripper!!

Anonymous said...

You write very well.

incognito.immaculate said...

Thank you gracious strangers and friends... :-)